The provision of Guidance and Counselling services is an important factor in university education, particularly in the production of quality and competitive graduates. To validate acquired knowledge and experiences of our graduates, adequate skills and opportunities need to be provided in all universities for students to develop competence for future career and gainful employment for global competitiveness. University students need to grow in character and learning, in responsibility, indeed they need to develop holistically in order to possess integrated personalities. This, in essence, has created the need to establish counselling centres that would design and provide quality services and programmes relevant to the world of work and healthy living.
Guidance and counselling existed as a section of Student Affairs Office since the inception of Rivers State University. Senate, in its 249 regular meeting finally approved the take-off of the Unit in 2018 after a comprehensive presentation by Dr. (Mrs.) C. Agi on guidelines for the establishment of Guidance and Counselling Centre in Rivers State University. This was achieved through additional concerted efforts and encouragement of the then Vice Chancellor Prof. C. B. Didia.
Name of the Director: Prof. Comfort Agi
Name of Department:Counselling Unit
Date of First Appointment: 22nd September, 1999, Asst. Lecturer
(1) Ph.D Guidance and Counsellling, University of Calabar
(2) M.Ed. Educational Psychology, Guidance and Counselling, Uniport
(3) B.Ed. Guidance and Counselling, University of Ibadan, Ibadan
(1) She has at least 20 years relevant experience and robust managerial skills
(2) She has over sixty publications in both local and international journals.
(3) She has attended many conferences, both national and international
(4) Prof. Comfort W. Agi is the first professor of Guidance and Counselling in Rivers State University, Nkpolu-Oroworukwo, Port Harcourt.
(5) She is the first Director of Counselling Unit, Rivers State University.
(6) She has supervised over twenty Ph.D students in Guidance and Counselling and over forty M.Ed. students.
(7) She was the pioneer Head of Department of Educational Management.
|Name||Rank||Area Of Specialization|
|Prof. Comfort Agi||Professor||Guidance and Counsellingemail@example.com|
|Onwuka Martin||Administrative Officer II||Regional Development Planningfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Onunwo Collins Victoria||Higher Executive Officer||Social Studiesemail@example.com|
|John Ogonda Chijioke||Administrative Officer II||Political Sciencefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Asitonka Marylyn Douglas||Asst. Chief Executive Officer||Business Educationemail@example.com|
|Wagbara Chinedu||Confidential Secretary (Casual)||Science Educationfirstname.lastname@example.org|